Friday 2 January 2015

January Resolutions

I've been pondering New Year's Resolutions for a couple of days. Thing is - I sort of started what I'd been planning on using as mine back in September when I began my 52 books challenge. And seeing as I don't smoke, am not a big drinker, eat fairly healthily and am quite thrifty (ok, stingy - I am from Yorkshire after all...) I struggled. 

I then thought about doing a word for the year. They are the new thing in resolutions, partly (if we're all honest) because they're more about positive intentions than beating yourself up for failings. No one is going to mock you if you've not "develop"-ed by the second week in February. They will if you've resolved to quit smoking, only to be caught nipping outside "to keep someone company" after a glass or three of wine.

But - I couldn't think of a word either. What I really want to do is get into little positive habits. The things that I think "oh, I really enjoyed doing that". Or "oh, that's made a surprising difference to my health/work/house". They tend to be the things you never do because there's *so many* of them and it gets overwhelming. Or because you don't write them down and then promptly forget. 

So, I have decided that I'm going to start writing these things down. Four new resolutions a month - the idea being that if you do something frequently, it becomes automatic. A positive habit.

January:

6 comments:

  1. I love this Gwen. It really is the little things. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, don't think my comment posted. Either that or you're now gonna get two.

    Oh that's much more manageable/achievable. I'd struggle choosing a word to be honest, I'd just lose it to be honest. My resolution mojo.

    p.s. Yaaay! The notes! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a good idea - small intentions are much easier to keep than huge resolutions. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this. I am doing this as well as the general intentions I have. The small things connect to the big picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh this is a good plan, I like the idea of sticking post-its up to remind you, I'm the type to forget things that aren't right in front of my face! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like this idea. To be honest, my intention for this year is the same as it's been every year of late; survive. Anything else feels like a lot to ask.

    ReplyDelete